8.21.2009

My donor could have been any one of the 12 million people worldwide who are registered to donate stem cells or bone marrow. All I know about my donor is that he's a middle-aged European man.

There is something I like about knowing that my donor's gift had nothing to do with me personally. I did not have to win him over with charm or impress him with a résumé. I might fit the profile of his worst enemy. But that did not matter to him.

All that mattered was that a fellow human being, a stranger somewhere in the world, was in need, and he had the power to save her. I am the recipient of an all-encompassing gift of love.

And so I say with all my heart, which pumps a stranger's blood:

Thank you, Strangers.

- from {Our Cells, Ourselves, and a Lifesaving Bond, Ibby Caputo, Washington Post}

No comments:

Post a Comment