9.22.2020

Star Light, Star Bright

Under stars in late October cold

you asked, if stars are sun,

why is ours much bigger than the rest.

I said, because they're far away.

As far away as Grammy's house, you asked.

Farther still, I said, much farther. 

Where is Grammy now, you asked.

Her body's in the ground, I said,

but maybe what she really was is up there somewhere shining down

like starlight you and I can feel

all around us on a night like this.

You stood in silence for awhile

gazing up, one thoughtful hand

resting lightly on my shoulder,

one stretched out and turned palm up

as if to catch the starlight.

Then you said, almost singing

    what a pretty feeling

    to be a little star,

    white, and beautiful.

I could feel the whole heart of you

lifting dreams beyond the reach

of earthbound limitations and I

love you more than you will know

until I'm starlight and you understand

how each of us needs little stars

to lift our dreams beyond ourselves

and I was hers, and you were mine.

- W.D. Ehrhart

No comments:

Post a Comment